If you’re obsessed with protein smoothies as much as I am, you’ll love this podcast episode! In Episode 46 of The Fit Flamingo Podcast, I share my formula for how to make the perfect smoothie. This formula will help you feel fuller longer without any unwanted spikes in your blood sugar (while still tasting amazinnnng). Read through this blog post or press play on the full episode with the links below!
listen to the full episode on:
The Formula for the Perfect Smoothie
- Start by adding your liquid base to a blender. You can use water, coconut water, or any milk or nut milk as your liquid base. As a good gauge, add enough liquid to cover the blades of the blender. You can always add more liquid later (peep step #5)!
- Add your favorite protein powder along with any collagen, oils, nuts, seeds, or nut butters.
- Add fruits and veggies. Add any frozen fruits, veggies, or ice last so they’re right on top.
- Blend on high speed for about 20 seconds, or until everything is blended together smoothly!
- If you want your smoothie to be more liquid-y, add more of your liquid base and blend together. To make your smoothie thicker, add more ice or frozen fruits or veggies to the mix.
Tips to Feel Fuller Longer
If you want to feel full and have long lasting energy, make sure your smoothie has these three things: Protein, carbohydrates, and fats.
When you combine carbohydrates with protein and fats, it prevents blood sugar levels from spiking and then inevitably crashing. You can also add fruits and vegetables like cauliflower, spinach, and avocado to boost the nutritional contents of your smoothie, balance any sugar, and keep you feeling fuller longer!
Here are some healthy protein, carbohydrate, and fat options…
- Your favorite protein powder
- Greek or dairy free yogurt
- Nut milk
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds / flax oil
- Hemp seeds
- Coconut oil
- MCT oil
- Nuts or nut butter
- Omega-3 fish oil
This isn’t an exhaustive list but I do hope it helps your feel equipped to get started blending protein smoothies in the kitchen!
If you’re ready to take your nutrition to the next level, fill out this contact form. I’d love to work with you 1 on 1 to help you heal your relationship with food and know what foods feel best for you and your body.
With Love from your Fitness Coach & Wellness Obsessed BFF,
Madison | The Fit Flamingo
Hi, I’m Madison Deaton. As a personal trainer, nutrition and self-love coach, I focus on the inside first, helping you get to the root of why you think and feel the way you do. Then I use things like functional fitness, holistic nutrition, mindset and self-love tools to help you connect with yourself on a deeper level, see things from a new perspective, and unlearn habits that no longer serve you so you can take up space, step into your power, and become the woman of your dreams (friendly reminder: she has been YOU all along). Welcome to The Fit Flamingo! I’m so glad you’re here.